A classic Greek comfort food
For the meatballs (youvarlakia)
500g lean minced beef
260g rice (not boiled/ perfectly arborio or something like this)
½ cup parsley, finely chopped
1 tbsps fresh dill, finely chopped (optional)
1 medium sized onion, grated
2 tbsps olive oil
3 tbsp flour
For the soup
2 tbsp olive oil
1 carrot, grated (optional)
1 leek cut thinly
½ onion diced
1 tsp salt
freshly ground pepper
for the egglemon sauce
3 large eggs
1 tsp cornstarch
Juice of two lemons
1. In a large wide pot and at medium heat add the olive oil, the carrot, the leek and the onion until soft
2. Add water and let it boil
3. In a big bowl combine ground beef, rice, onion, parsley, dill, salt, and pepper.
4. Place flour in a shallow pan.
5. With floured hands, shape the meat mixture into walnut-sized balls. Roll meatballs lightly in flour and shake off excess.
6. Carefully place the meatballs in a layer on the bottom of the pot. Add more water if needed, just to cover the meatballs.
7. Simmer covered, over low heat for 30-40 minutes.
8. Add more water if less than one cup remains.
9. For the Egg-Lemon Sauce using a whisk, beat the eggs in a medium bowl until frothy.
10. Mix the lemon juice with the corn flour and slowly pour it in the eggs
11. Ladle one cup of the pot liquid little by little into egg-lemon mixture to temper the eggs.
12. Remove pot from heat and add egg-lemon mixture stirring gently.
13. Heat over very very low heat until sauce thickens and is heated through.
14. Take care not to allow the sauce to boil or the eggs will curdle.